AMILCAR (France) 1927 -1939
This well-known French marque started in 192l as a small cyclecar,
designed by Jules Salomon and Edmond Moyet, and bore a close
resemblance to the pre-war Le Zèbre. The first model was the 903cc CC,
available in a sport version, the CS, and the family C4.
The sv engine had splash lubrication, and there was a three-speed
gearbox. But the most famous of all was the CGS "Grand Sport" of
1924 with a sv engine of 1074cc and four-wheel brakes; it
evolved into the more sporty CGSS "Grand Sport Surbaissé". These
were made under license as Pluto in Germany and Grofri in Austria.
In the mid-1920s, the marque entered proper motor racing, building
a batch of supercharged dohc 1100cc six-cylinder cars that used a
roller bearing crankshaft in the full racing version, but were
also available with plain bearings. Amilcar also built a light
touring car, the M-type, with a sv 1200cc engine, launched in 1928,
followed by, M2, M3 and M4 versions. They also made a
straight-eight in 1928, with an ohc 2-litre engine. This C8
proved unreliable and expensive and disappeared very quickly.
In the late 1930s, Amilcar introduced two new models, the 14cv with
a four-cylinder Delahaye engine and the Compound. The latter was made
when Amilcar was taken over by Hotchkiss. Very advanced in design,
the front-wheel-drive Compound featured a monocoque frame made out of
light alloy and independent suspension all round. The engine was an
ohv four-cylinder of 1185cc.
Production was not resumed after World War Two.