BALLOT (France) l919 - 1932
Ballot really started as far back as 1905, when the brothers Edouard and
Maurice Ballot started manufacturing marine engines and proprietary power
After the war, they entered motor racing when ex-Peugeot engineer
Henry designed a straight-eight 4.9 litre car for the 1921 French Grand Prix.
They later evolved a 2 litre racing car from which was developed a touring
version, the 2 LS. This was a dohc 1944cc four, which stayed in production
until 1924. In 1923, Ballot presented the ohc 2 LT with three bearing
crankshaft; a sport version, the 2 LTS, was soon evolved with bigger valves.
In 1926 a six-cylinder was presented at the Paris Show but never went into
production: it was replaced the following year by the ohc 2.8 litre
type RH straight-eight. The engine was then enlarged to 3 litres, but the
car was too
heavy to enjoy success.
In 1931 the Ballot factory was taken over by Hispano-Suiza. The
Ballot HS 26, which had been launched at the Paris Show in 1930,
was renamed Hispano "Junior". The six-cylinder engine of 4580cc was
designed by Birkigt and made at the Hispano Works: Ballot provided
only the chassis.
Nevertheless, the Ballot factory closed its doors